Here's a quick pre-installation checklist I have developed for the UAG deployments. Of course, it may not cover all possible deployment scenarios. So, feel free to expand upon it as necessary.
- Networking has been configured correctly
- Static IPs assigned to all network interfaces
- Static IPs to be assigned to each trunk (in load-balanced array this will be assigned to the VIP associated with the trunk) have been reserved
- Connectivity to the Internet works
- Connectivity to the internal network works
- All internal networks (network ranges that UAG will be fronting/protecting) have been explicitly identified
- All servers meet system requirements
- All available Windows updates have been installed
- All servers are clean, with no additional (unnecessary) software installed
- All servers have been properly named
- If applicable (required for UAG array), all servers have been joined to the domain
- No previous versions of UAG, TMG, or SQL are installed on any of the servers
- Windows firewall service is started, and set to start automatically on all servers
- User account (domain account if UAG server is joint to the domain) and password to perform UAG installation have been identified (must have administrative permissions on the server)
- User account and password that will be impersonated by UAG to retrieve data from Active Directory have been identified (must have permissions to traverse AD and read objects and their attributes). Similar provisions will apply to other authentication repositories.
- If SharePoint resources are to be published, user account and password to access SharePoint central admin (for AAM modification) has been identified.
Media and Licenses:
- UAG installation media (latest version with applicable service packs and updates) has been obtained and made available
- UAG product key / license has been obtained and made available
- All required URLs (for trunks and applications to be published) have been identified
- Means of creating/editing DNS records (for the URLs mentioned above) have been established
- Valid digital certificates for each trunk and each application that will require the use of HTTPS (SSL/TLS) have been obtained and made available
NOTE: The certificates should match the FQDN names used in access URL (for example: if https://xxx.yyy.com is used to access UAG portal, then the certificate should be issued to xxx.yyy.com). To simplify operations the use of wildcard (*.yyy.com) certificate is recommended.