Skip to main content

UAG and Windows 8.1 or IE11

Update (05/15/2014): since the release of another service pack the following information could be depreciated. Read more about UAG 2010 SP4 here  

It seems like every time there's an operating system or browser update something UAG related goes wrong, considering this is an important infrastructure component that supports remote access services this is not cool! And, unfortunately, last series of upgrades - from Windows 8 to 8.1 and from Internet Explorer 10 to 11 - weren't an exception. There were a number of issues that weren't apparent at first, for example - a connectivity issue with UAG displaying Mobile Portal access or an RDP issue when published links would disappear from the portal.

Luckily, there are workarounds for most of these issues. The final resolution should lie with UAG 2010 SP4 that was rumored to be released in Q4 (but really should have been released before Win 8.1 or IE11 if you ask me).

Things like the aforementioned connectivity issue can be resolved by simply adding UAG to the compatibility view list as outlined here - http://bit.ly/17NFGlx. I would not bother with the emulation settings, results are very inconsistent and you have to change them every time you access UAG.

So, this leads me to a more fundamental, although officially unsupported, workaround. If you had published RDP links unexpectedly disappear, this one is for you. I must say I did not come up with it myself, I just followed the breadcrumbs:
  • After some research I found the following discussion containing a lot of good information and links - http://bit.ly/1gSff8b
  • Including a link to the following workaround, which involves modifying web.config file on the UAG server - http://bit.ly/13iMXxn
  • Which looked promising, but contained a number of inconsistencies that were corrected here - http://bit.ly/1aYjxIR
  • The last article not only explains how to properly apply the workaround, but also quite correctly points to the official TechNet article on how to modify the DetectionExpression - http://bit.ly/1e8IDmX 

This is not as complicated as it may sound, just don't forget to make backups of web.config files before modifying them, in case you need to roll back; and use a good text editor, something like Notepad++, to avoid problems with Unicode/formatting.

Until UAG 2010 SP4 :)       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skype for Business and VTC Interoperability

Skype for Business (SfB) has a very, very strong potential, I have written about it in my previous post. I can't think of any other platform that shows as much promise in terms of bridging personal and business communications as well as unifying different modes and mediums. And all of this may have started with a strategic acquisition of Skype by Microsoft in 2011.

That said, the road ahead is not without challenges. For example, interoperability with other platforms. Making SfB work with existing Video TeleConferencing (VTC) systems, many of which represent significant capital investments in organizations' infrastructure, could be of a particular importance.

After reading statements like Skype for Business is based on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) standards and supports H.264 (MPEG-4 video coding standard) one can come to a quick conclusion that integration and/or interoperability with other VTC solutions is easy or nearly automatic. Unfortunately, the industry is not qui…

PoSh Disable and Move AD Users

A quick and easy way to disable user accounts and move them into designated OU:

Import-Csv "C:\TEMP\users.csv" | ForEach-Object { `      $u=$_."sAMAccountName"; $l="Disabling and moving: " +$u; write-output $l; `      Get-ADUser -Identity $u | `      Disable-ADAccount -PassThru | `      Move-ADObject -TargetPath "OU=Disabled Users,OU=Organization,DC=domain,DC=local"
Input is provided via a CSV file:
users.csv (username) sAMAccountName  jdoe1  jdoe2  jdoe3  jdoe4  jdoe5  

To generate input file run something like this, review and edit as necessary:
Search-ADAccount –UsersOnly –AccountInactive –TimeSpan 180.00:00:00 | `      where {$_.enabled} | `      Get-ADUser | `      select sAMAccountName | `      Export-Csv -Path "C:\TEMP\users.csv"

WordPress displays weird characters

Sometimes after a database conversion (e.g. from MySQL to MariaDB) or due to encoding issues a situation might arise when WordPress is showing weird characters. A quick way of remedying the situation would involve examining the pages to discover a pattern (what characters are being substituted, in the example below the apostrophe was replaced by â€™) then running an queries against the database to reverse the effect. Here's a quick example (common tables that store content):



UPDATE wp_posts SET post_content = REPLACE(post_content, 'Â', '')     UPDATE wp_posts SET post_content = REPLACE(post_content, '’', "'")     UPDATE wp_postmeta SET meta_value = REPLACE(meta_value, 'Â', '')     UPDATE wp_postmeta SET meta_value = REPLACE(meta_value, '’', "'")     
Please, keep in mind that to permanently resolve the issue you would need to get to the root of the problem and may need to adjust encoding, run a databas…